So I hear the Easter Bunny is coming! Apparently this is a bunny I'm
not supposed to chase and he will, in return, leave me a basket of goodies. Sounds like a decent trade to me..
With this in mind, I wanted to share with you what us furry folks would prefer you leave out of our
Easter baskets this year.... well, and every year.
First on the list would be chocolate!
While this is more of a problem for us canine kids as opposed to the feline variety (we'll get into their problems in a moment),
it's smart not only to keep chocolate out of our Easter baskets but if you have kids (the ones not covered completely in fur),
you may want to ensure their Easter baskets stay safely out of your canine's reach. We ARE curious beings by nature and we
may just decide to bite the chocolate ears off that adorable bunny if you give us the chance.
So why is chocolate a no-no? Chocolate contains Theobromine and caffeine - yes believe it or not, caffeine isn't good
for us either (my mom doesn't know how we are able to survive without it but we are, after all, amazing and phenomenal creatures).
The type of chocolate we could get our hands on coupled with the amount we may be able to scarf down
before you catch us, can greatly determine how sick we become. Dark chocolate contains the highest concentrations while white
chocolate contains the least.
So why is chocolate bad for us but wonderful for
humans? It has to do with that dreaded Theobromine. Humans are able to break down and get rid of Theobromine in the
body relatively quickly but in dogs, it stays around FOREVER... ok not forever.. more like 17.5 hours... bottom line,
it sticks around in our bodies way too long.
So if you notice your furry child trembling,
vomiting or having diarrhea, check your Easter baskets for looting and call the vet.
onto feline fancies and Easter. Cats love Easter Grass! Ok, ok, so dogs love Easter Grass as well but cats
REALLY love it and it can be deadly. Ingested Easter Grass can create a linear foreign object which can cause a life-threatening
Easter Grass can pose a huge risk to your kitties so do yourself and
your cat a favor and opt for shredded paper in the bottom of their basket (or your kids). If you have Easter Grass in your
home and notice your pet with Easter Grass showing from the mouth or "the other end", if your pet is vomiting, straining
or has a painful abdomen, get them to the vet immediately. DO NOT attempt to pull the grass out as this can cause more damage
if the piece is long and trapped inside the body. Leave this one to the professionals and get your furry child to the vet.
Lastly, keep those Easter Lilies where they belong - OUTSIDE! While lilies are beautiful,
they are poisonous, especially for cats. Their toxin can be deadly so please don't take this warning lightly. Cats can suffer
from kidney failure after ingesting even a small amount of the flower or plant. It can also effect the nervous system and
Please be aware that even the pollen is toxic! Have you ever seen
the small amounts of pollen that fall onto your countertops when you have these flowers in your home? Yep! Even that stuff
is bad for us.
If you suspect that your cat has ingested part of a lily plant
including the pollen, consult your vet immediately. Remember kitties can get the pollen on their paws when it falls on your
countertops which can then be ingested during grooming. Mortality rates with lily toxicity when left untreated or treated
later than 18 hours after exposure is as high as 100% so keep those bad boys away from us.
As for what we CAN have ~ clearly we love treats, bones, toys and the like.. but all we really need is your love and
affection. Happy Easter!